Tuesday 14 April 2015

The Science of Attraction: Verity Jacobs

Sigh....kind of crushing on Tom and Jonathan right now.  I just finished a bit of a marathon reading of two really great books: The Science of Attraction and The Music of Temptation, both written by Verity Jacobs.  I'll stick to writing about The Science of Attraction for now.


Blurb (Science of Attraction):

She’s the hot new recruit at the most prestigious research institute in Germany, and she’s determined to live up to the hype — even if it means working day and night. Stress relief comes in the form of a no-nonsense affair with her neighbor, who also happens to be the director of the institute. Who says sex should be anything more than a contract between two people who have other things on their mind?


So when Tom Baker saunters into her life, Kate is understandably upset to see this well-oiled machine splutter and seize. Tom is young and smart, and far too pretty for his own good. Kate can’t help but be drawn to him, even if giving in to the attraction would mean risking everything she’s worked for.

Review:  4.5 Stars

I kind of love romance books set in an academic setting.  In my real life, I don't deal with CEOs, motorcycle clubs, rock stars, star athletes, etc.  In contrast, I have a lot of dealings with academics.  I spent about 10 years in university (between my undergraduate and graduate degrees) and a lot of my friends are academics.  So, I already feel a kinship to characters who are slogging through their academic research.  

Added to this, I was really excited to find out that the book is primarily set in Bonn, Germany.  The first international conference I attended was held in Bonn.  I even dragged out my external hard drive to find a picture from my visit.  



Having been there and walked the streets around the university, helped me feel more immersed in the story.  It's a pretty city, with a large cobblestone centre.  Now, I kind of want to pack up and move to Bonn.  Okay - moment of insanity passed.  No packing.

I really liked this book.  Tom is basically a dream guy.  My only small critique is that there could have been a little bit more plot and less sex.  But, I loved reading about the Kate and Tom.

I've also been enjoying the prelude the author has been writing about Tom on her blog.  Go check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment